- Veale, Michael. “Logics and Practices of Transparency and Opacity in Real-World Applications of Public Sector Machine Learning.” In Presented as a Talk at the 4th Workshop on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency in Machine Learning (FAT/ML 2017), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, 2017. https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.09249.
- Edwards, Lilian, and Michael Veale. “Enslaving the Algorithm: From a ‘Right to an Explanation’ to a ‘Right to Better Decisions’?.” Presented at the 2017 Brussel Privacy Symposium, VUB, 2017. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3052831.
- Veale, Michael, Reuben Binns, and Jef Ausloos. “We Can’t Find Your Data, But a Hacker Could: How ’Privacy by Design’ Trades-Off Data Protection Rights.” Available on SSRN, 2017. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3081069.
- Veale, Michael, and Lilian Edwards. “Clarity, Surprises, and Further Questions in the Article 29 Working Party Draft Guidance on Automated Decision-Making and Profiling.” Computer Law & Security Review, 2017. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3071679.
- Edwards, Lilian, and Michael Veale. “Slave to the Algorithm? Why a ‘Right to an Explanation’ Is Probably Not the Remedy You Are Looking For.” Duke Law & Technology Review 16, no. 1 (2017): 18–84. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2972855.
- Veale, Michael. Data Management and Use: Case Studies of Technologies and Governance. London: The Royal Society and the British Academy, 2017. https://royalsociety.org/ /media/policy/projects/data-governance/data-governance-case-studies.pdf.
- Veale, Michael, and Reuben Binns. “Fairer Machine Learning in the Real World: Mitigating Discrimination without Collecting Sensitive Data.” Big Data & Society 4, no. 2 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1177/2053951717743530.
- Binns, Reuben, Michael Veale, Max Van Kleek, and Nigel Shadbolt. “Like Trainer, like Bot? Inheritance of Bias in Algorithmic Content Moderation.” In Social Informatics: 9th International Conference, SocInfo 2017, Oxford, UK, September 13-15, 2017, Proceedings, Part II, edited by Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia, Afra Mashhadi, and Taha Yasseri, 405–15. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-67256-4_32.
- Veale, Michael. “Connecting Diverse Public Sector Values with the Procurement of Machine Learning Systems..” In Data for Policy 2016 — Frontiers of Data Science for Government: Ideas, Practices and Projections (Data for Policy), Cambridge, United Kingdom, 15–16 September 2016, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.571786.
- Veale, Michael, and Rafael Seixas. “Moving to Metrics: Opportunities and Challenges of Performance-Based Sustainability Standards.” S.A.P.I.EN.S 5, no. 1 (2015). https://sapiens.revues.org/pdf/1713.